View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wednesday, 18. October 2017, 20:12:01

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Map Generator 
Ambassador

Post Re: Map Generator
I tried to do that but in the end decided against because I couldn't find a way to do it without making some regions very long and narrow. There is little point in trying to make piles with similar resources if you potentially put those tiles too far away from the HS.
Also I don't see why it should be that important that regions border MR. After all no player has any rights to a system because of the region it is in.

Sunday, 02. December 2012, 15:46:37
Ambassador

Hmm, sounds reasonable. In the end, the Home System Auction should "fix" problems in the region distribution anyway. I'd say let's try galaxy creation with the current method and adjust manually in case we see to severe discrepancies.

Sunday, 02. December 2012, 17:09:56
Ambassador

I believe I have the latest version and tend to use this app a lot for F2F and PBF map generation (when a preset is used). I find it very useful. In general, we should get an FAQ on this app drafted on the wiki. I'm happy to help put something consolidated together from the existing materials, if that would help.

I would like to get some input on what is wrong with my 4-ring 6-player settings. I'm trying to match the setup conditions used in Boulder House Rules (12 special systems, 9 empty, all multi-planet systems). When I use the settings below, 3-4 hexes are blank (not empty systems). Am I making a math error somewhere?

Spoiler
#
Name:4rings_6players
Systems per Pile:5,2,2
Tile distribution:Random
Max. Dispersion:2.0
Number of tries:10000
Planet values:res/inf,1,1
Multiple Planets:flat,0
HS distribution:Corners
Players:6
Number of Rings:4
Systems:33,12,9
Output:Map
Tech Specialty values:1,1
Dispersion Increment:0.25

I was able to work around the blank systems and needed to shuffle a few tiles to keep special systems from being adjacent. In the end, you end up with a fairly balanced map that can be done 100% virtually (using the app and VASSAL).

It's also done quite quickly compared to my old method of setting up physical tiles on the floor, taking digital photos, you don't wanna know. :)

Player (LER)
Sol (SiD)
Hacan (TLP)
GM (WotW)
GM (BHR1)

Monday, 06. January 2014, 17:16:34

The settings look correct, a 4-ring galaxy needs 61 tiles (1 + 6 + 12 + 18 + 24), 7 of which are MR and HS tiles, so 54 is enough.
I took a quick look at the code and found that 2, -2 was missing in the settings for 4rings/6players while 2, -1 was in there twice. That only explains one missing tile though.
I'll try it out myself tomorrow. Most likely there's something wrong in the code that distributes the tiles.

I'll make a wiki page for the generator once I fixed this bug. I haven't done this yet because I'm planning to make a web version of it, which you can just use on the website, However, that will take a while. Too many other other (hopefully) small things are to be done before that.

Monday, 06. January 2014, 18:17:30
Ambassador

OK, sounds good. Thanks for the sanity check and no rush on the fix.

Player (LER)
Sol (SiD)
Hacan (TLP)
GM (WotW)
GM (BHR1)

Monday, 06. January 2014, 19:15:35

I found the bug and fixed it. Basically I did not implement a 4 rings/6 player correctly, nor did I test it. I'm actually surprised that the program work with those settings at all. For me it always crashed.

The new version is in the OP. Your settings are set as default and worked in a quick test.

Sunday, 12. January 2014, 21:43:06
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3